“We’re Waiting for a Miracle”

letter-447577_1280

According to news reports, this is what was said by close associates of Ariel Sharon tonight.

It is as if we end the evening as we started the morning, with thoughts of death. The parallels to West Virginia are unavoidable — given what they said about the hemorrhaging in his brain and the emergency surgery, the Prime Minister’s prognosis is indeed grim.

HaAretz is both malicious and clueless — this doesn’t throw Kadima into a “state of uncertainty.” It throws the entire Israeli political system into a state of uncertainty.

But all of that will come later. For now we can still pray for a miracle and a refuah shleimah, and that has nothing to do with his politics or political future.

1. ralphie says:

Okay, so I’m wrong – it says not to pray for something that has already transpired, e.g., for a particular sex of baby once it’s already been conceived.

2. Michael Klein says:

I take back comment #9. His name is posted on the OU website http://www.ou.org
    Sam, thanks again.

3. Michael Klein says:

Sam, thank you very much, but from where did you get your
    information? I need to know because I want to tell others,
    and they may ask me the same question.

4. ralphie says:

Mr. Livni –

I think it really says not to pray for a miracle – that it is a blessing made in vain. There might be exceptions, according to R’ Herschel Schechter, for one.

(I disagree with the mashgiach in R’ Schechter’s anecdote, by the way. He refuses to pray for someone whose doctors had given up hope, since it would be praying for a miracle. After all, part of the blessing for refuah is “refuat hanefesh.” One can always pray for that without hoping for a miracle, I believe.)

5. Netanel Livni says:

No, it says one may not rely on a miracle and that one may not pray for Hashem to change the past.

6. ralphie says:

I realize this is somewhat off-topic, and I certainly mean no disrespect to Rabbi Menken, but doesn’t it say in Brochos that one may not pray for a miracle?

7. Amanda Rush says:

I’ll be interested to see the number of people who oppine that Sharon’s current condition is G-d’s judgment for planning and implementing the disengagement.
    I think we’ve all seen how the “prophets” come out of the woodwork when things like this happen.

8. Michoel says:

“For now we can still pray for a miracle and a refuah shleimah, and that has nothing to do with his politics or political future.”
    Yakov, I agree with you fully. He spent his life (it should continue) dedicated to Klal Yisrael, being badly wounded more than once. The kanoyim should kindly refrain from speaking.

9. Sam says:

Ariel ben Devorah

10. Joshua Nathan says:

Well said!

11. Michael Klein says:

Does anyone know Ariel Sharon’s mother’s name which
    can be used in a Mi Sheberach?